What’s better than a fine glass of wine and beautiful music? Try being a musician who owns a winery. In the ever-increasing enterprise of entertainer- and celebrity-owned wineries, a number of popular singers and musicians have purchased their own wineries or shares of other wineries.
Here’s a look at a few of them:
- Jonathan Cain – the long-time keyboard player for the Babys, Journey, and Bad English is part-owner of delaCain Vineyards with Dennis de la Montanya. Located in Healdsburg, California, delaCain currently produces three wines: Chanconne (“Slow Dance”) Pinot Noir, All Access Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, and Finale Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Lil Jon – the rapper collaborates on Little Jonathan Winery with California winemaker Alison Crowe. Wines include Merlot, Chardonnay, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Mick Fleetwood – one of the founders of Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood has collaborates with Langtry Estate and Vineyards to produce Mick Fleetwood Private Cellar. Founded in 2001, Fleetwood’s wines have won a number of awards, including those from the San Francisco International Wine Competition, the Indie International Wine Competition, the California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition, and the Long Beach Grand Cru Wine Competition. There are 13 wines currently available.
- Dave Matthews – Matthews owns Blenheim Vineyards, located at 31 Blenheim Farm in Charlottesville, Virginia. Matthews purchased the historic farm in 1999, which was claimed in 1730 by Secretary of the Virginia Colony John Carter. The vineyards offer wine tastings and tours, and currently produces 13 wines, available for purchase online and at various outlets in Virginia.
- Olivia Newton-John – the Australian singer founded Koala Blue Wines in 1983 with partner Pat Ferrar. The wines, a Chardonnay and a Cabernet Sauvignon, are said to be “characteristically Australian.”
- Madonna – established by Madonna’s father, Silvio Ciccone, in 1995 in Leelanau Peninsula, Michigan, Ciccone Vineyard and Winery is located at 10343 E. Hilltop Rd. in Suttons Bay. The winery offers tastings, and the website offers recipes and wine pairings. Wines are available at retailers throughout Michigan.
Recommended reading: Snurgle, GlubGlub, Whoosh – Me and My Vinturi